Zones come in two types:
- Permanent - These zones persists from the beginning to the end of the game. Every player has six permanent Zones that they own, though in Team Formats that ownership may not be unique.
- Transient - These zones are created and destroyed as needed. Every player has two unique temporary zones that they own.
"Zone" by default means "Permanent Zone".
HQ is your HeadQuarters. We use the terms Main Deck synonymously and Deck imprecisely. Cards in play originally start in this zone. We draw cards from this zone and move them to other zones, most often the Base (following).
The Cards in the HQ Zone are ordered. The Top of the Deck is drawn first, while the Bottom of the Deck is drawn last. When Cards Enterthe HQ Zone, they are placed on the Bottom unless otherwise specified.
The Top card of every player's HQ is visible and has a space in the interface. Along the bottom edge of the Top card is the number of cards remaining in the deck.
The Base is your hand. We use the term Hand synonymously.
2 <= Billet = 4 <= 6
Cards in Limbo are ordered by their time of entry, with the top being most recent.
In the interface, the number of cards in each player's Limbo is displayed. When a player clicks on that number, a zone flyout displays the cards. Cards in Limbo can be TARGETS of appropriate Abilities.
Cards in Limbo can be and often are actively re-used as part of the play of the game.
Cards in Chuted are ordered by their time of entry, with the top being most recent.
Chuted is given a flyout similar to Limbo (above). Chuted Cards cannot be TARGETS. All Card Abilities of Chuted cards are nullified. However, Effects of Cards in other Zones may depend on Chuted cards, in particular the total number. Thus, Chuted cards still indirectly affect play.
Cards in Reinforcements are ordered by their time of entry, with the top being most recent.
Reinforcements is populated differently depending on format.
- In PvX Formats, it is your Reinforcements list from your Deck Builder.
- In TvX Formats, the Reinforcements zone is shared amongst your Team and is initially empty. The Reinforcements zone is jointly owned.
Reinforcements follows the rules for Deck Building.
The Vanguard is exactly 9 Enlisted cards in sequence taken from your Main Deck list. Every format has a Vanguard N variable that specifies how many of these cards are initially moved to your Base.
Vanguard is not displayed on the play screen, but the order is displayed (and changeable) from game start screens.
Once the Vanguard zone is used to determine your Initial Hand, then it is discarded.
Occasionally Effects will require a temporary Working Zone where cards reside. Cards entering or leaving the Working zone do not trigger zone movement effects if they are returned to the same zone.
- Refer to Movement for more precise terms of card movement between zones.
- See Spot for exact sub-zone designators.
- Cards in have differing visibility to players depending on several factors. Refer to Visibility.
- Decks have rules for construction depending on format. See Deck Building.
TTD Include explosion view of zones from game screen